Pages

Paulie Wins Split Decision against Cano



BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- Paulie Malignaggi's split-decision win at Barclays Center over Pablo Cano was controversial by some viewers. The knockdown in Round 11 from Cano's right cross make the drama in waiting for the scorecards.

Fighting not far away from his home neighborhood at Barclays Center, Malignaggi got himself on the canvas in round 11. Malignaggi got up, but the impact was too difficult for the Magic Man [Malignaggi]. However, Malignaggi recovered enough to make it out of the round.


All parties waiting for the results after the game ended. Two judges gave results 114-113 for Malignaggi while another judge gave results 118-109 to Cano. At once, many observers booed the scorecard results. They considered that Malignaggi was not entitled to a split decision victory.

Malignaggi (32-4, 7 knockouts) started the game with a nice jab, good quick combo, and set the rhythm of the game until the middle of the game. Entering part-time, Cano (25-2-1, 19 knockouts) managed to overcome the blows of Malignaggi. The key is the right timing to counter Malignaggi. Some hard blow to the body successfully nested Malignaggi. The result was when in the 11th round, Cano had dropped Malignaggi.

"He's a warrior. He came with a lot of power," said Malignaggi. "I don't know what the one scorecard was all about [118-109.] I thought I controlled the whole fight. He'll be a champion one day, just not tonight. He was stronger than I thought he would be. This means the world to me. I was born only five miles from here. This is an incredible feeling." And what next for Malignaggi? "I want [Ricky] Hatton next," he said.



Cano, whose only last loss was to Erik Morales by TKO in the last year, felt the positive reaction he got from the crowd spoke louder than the scorecards.

"Paulie had a lot of experience, but I had heart and experience. They know I won the fight. Listen to the crowd: ," Cano said. "Even Paulie told me I'm a true Mexican warrior."

0 comments: